There are important changes to the ATEX directive (2014/34/EU) applicable to equipment for use in potentially explosive atmospheres.
The removal of the previous version of the ATEX directive (94/9/EC) from the Official Journal of the European Communities is getting closer.
As of 20th April 2016, use of ATEX directive (94/9/EC) for compliance under the European CE marking regulations will no longer be valid. In its place comes ATEX directive (2014/34/EU) which was released on 29th March 2014.
This directive has some significant administrative changes to its predecessor including:
- Renaming of EC Type Examination Certificate to EU Type Examination Certificate
- Renaming of all EC Declaration of Conformity documents to EU Declaration of Conformity with the added requirement to keep these continuously updated
- A new list of formal administrative requirements relating to CE mark, Declarations and markings to improve traceability
- Formal accreditation of all Notified Bodies
- No variation to certificates issued under 94/9/EC after April 2016.